Willett is a small hamlet in West Somerset, situated off and along the B3224 from Taunton towards Minehead, Exmoor and North Devon. It is on the edge of the Brendon Hills, a mile from the boundary with Exmoor National Park, 10 miles approx from Taunton, 13 miles approx from Minehead, and approx 13 miles from the M5. It is 5 miles from the nearest shops and approx 3 miles from nearest villages. From Willett Hill one can look down onto Taunton Vale and across to the Quantock hills on the other side of the vale, across the Severn estuary to South Wales, on a good day, and down to Taunton and the Blackdown hills and beyond. The West Somerset railway line running from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead has a station, Crowcombe, about 3 miles from the farm. It is a working dairy farm of approx 500 acres therefore the fields are mostly down to grazing grass but it includes several acres of wild flower meadows and woodland. There are many original old red sandstone barns, which have sadly become impractical for modern day farming needs and practises but retain their atmosphere, and 2 small lakes. One yard has been converted into workshops mostly rented by a furniture making school and a small cheese making enterprise making blue cheeses. The cottages are mostly occupied by people who either still work on the farm or do so in some capacity from time to time. One of these cottages was once the farmhouse for a smaller farm, Coleford Farm, set on the edge of a 5 acre wood with its' own old, if derelict, lovely unspoilt farmyard. Another of the cottages is a grade 2 listed 15/16 century Somerset long house, Lower Willett. Again once the main house for a smaller farm. This cottage faces South with its' garden opening out onto open meadow. The farmhouse itself was built in 1879 on the site of an old 16 century house which burnt down. So the feel of the house is older than it is, in parts, but largely early Victorian, with the best rooms in the front south facing side for the family and the north chilly side as the working side with larders, dairy kitchen and scullery and where one assumed a maid had her room. 2 of the larders are still used as such, the third which was originally a small dairy, has now been converted into a living area. The scullery remains a scullery and the adjoining kitchen is actually quite small for such a big house by today's standards, presumably viewed as a working area for a cook and scullery maid originally. The Aga replaced the range in 1947. It has 6 bedrooms, a large cellar and a roof space which is partially floored for access and storage. Nothing has been turned into en suite so the proportions of the rooms are still maintained and they are light and airy. The seventh bedroom has been converted into a shower room. The house is set to one side of the working area of the farm, surrounded by about 1 acre of traditional English garden with lawn, vegetable garden, cut flower garden and 'garden rooms.' The south facing aspect looks over the fields and down to one of the ponds. The north facing side also looks onto fields and Willett Hill whose tower is mentioned in Pevsner's writings of the area.
Local train stations, hotels, restaurants and parking.
Tags relating to this listing