Located about an hour north of London. the manor (listed II*) has medieval origins, and the earliest parts of Hall were built around 1540 but the hall was enlarged and extended in about 1910. The site was a residential college from 1943 till 2015. The main entrance drive to the 13 ha site runs for 100m, flanked by a lime avenue and two canals, the area being surrounded by mature trees. The drive opens into a tarmac car park at the north end of the west canal, From here the drive continues along the east front, past the main entrance with its short flight of curved stone steps, to the service buildings to the north. A raised terrace with a diamond pattern, stone-flagged pedestrian path links the car park and the main door on the east front. The path is flanked at the east end by C18 wrought-iron gates with supporting pilasters and side screens (listed grade II*), approached from the east by a low flight of stone steps, and along its length by two panels of lawn separated from the car park by a low stone retaining wall.
Local train stations, hotels, restaurants and parking.
Tags relating to this listing